Residents In Tennessee Valley Now Facing Mold Growth Challenges

Earlier in the month Kentucky got slammed with rain that caused extensive flooding throughout the Louisville area. Before the water even had time to begin receding the damage had already been done, and properties all over were enduring the aftermath of a flooded basement or home. After the water had gone, there was something serious that remained, which is mold.

After an area floods it is imperative to begin quickly cleaning up the water and drying out the property so that mold doesn’t have a chance to grow. Whether it is a basement, car, or even a living space, water can hike up the chance for mold greatly.

According to the United States EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), mold due to flooding can cause serious health issues if it isn’t taken care of quickly and efficiently. Even if the flooding was caused by clean water, it can still lead to the growth of microorganisms that can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to it.

Doctors recommend the best way to deal with mold is to immediately throw out any items that were damaged by water, including furniture. They also recommended that any carpeting that has sustained water damage should also be thrown away as well. The health issues associated with mold vary from individual to individual, but the most common ailments are sinus problems that can trigger asthma, bronchitis, or even a serious allergic reaction.

A study was done by the EPA, and they set out some recommendations to prevent mold from growing in your home following a flood event.

First, you will want to stop the water from breaching your homes foundation. From there, you will need to protect any of your family members or occupants that are especially vulnerable to mold or that have chronic diseases or a suppressed immune system. Next, you will want to find out the extent of the water damage. Trace any pathways of the water to find out where the damage has spread. Lastly, you will need to plan and begin the clean up process.

Dealing with Black Mold

According to many people, that is just the easy part. If the moisture seeps into the walls of the home it can be quite difficult to fix. If the mold spreads throughout your wall, then you will definitely need the help of professional to remove it efficiently. Allergists have stated that toxic mold usually isn’t a problem, and that it is usually the people who are already allergic to mold that would be the most affected.

The mold usually is not toxic, because it doesn’t essentially send out toxins that will make everyone sick. The problem begins when people who are already allergic to mold begin to show symptoms of exposure.